Migrating Ecommerce Sites without Data Loss
This is a short checklist for quickly migrating a live ecommerce site (specifically WordPress) without losing or duplicating data in the process.
- Set up new server.
- Install clean copy of WordPress
- Set up test domain. (Optional)
- Set up SSL on the new server.
- Install WP Migrate DB Pro.
- Clone old site to new server:
- Migration service
- WP Migrate DB Pro addons
- Test thoroughly with temporary or test domain.
- Modify local hosts file so that yourdomain.com points to the new servers IP and test again.
- Put up 503 maintenance mode on old site.
- Migrate data one last time.
- Migrate DNS.
- Use CloudFlare as DNS changes are near instant.
- Use WP Migrate DB Pro to do last sync after testing/before dns change.
Daniel Iser is a professional WordPress plugin developer, and the author of plugins such as Easy Modal & Popup Maker. Founder of Wizard Internet Solutions he has been working with WordPress for over 7 years creating websites and tools for clients & blog authors.